Ashburn Ruritans Honor Outstanding Young Residents
Ashburn Ruritan Club President Barry Dwyer told the crowd at the club's 17th annual “Outstanding Student Citizen Awards” night May 15 that he was pleased to present such positive awards to contrast the doom and gloom stories about young people that often appear in the media.
Dwyer then encouraged the 2012 award winners to continue their hard work and good deeds.
“Continue to display the enthusiasm for learning, the cooperativeness with your teachers, the compassion and assistance to your peers, and the community service activities that have earned you these awards,” he said. “The future of our nation depends on your continued outstanding performance.”
Broad Run High School Principal Douglas Anderson served as host during the event, which was in the Ashburn school’s cafeteria. About 140 people attended, including the families of those honored, teachers, school principals, Ruritan members and honored guests, including Ned Waterhouse, deputy superintendent of Loudoun County Public Schools.
Principals and teachers from their respective schools selected the award winners. The Ashburn Ruritan Club will send donations charities selected by each student. Winners also received certificates and plaques engraved with their name to display at their schools.
Ruritan student club members Emily Dawson, a senior at Broad Run, received a special Ruritan Civic Service Award in recognition of her community service with the club.
Ned Waterhouse said the students were honored for “doing the right thing when nobody was looking.” He also encouraged parents and students to volunteer and participate in the activities of civic service organizations, such as Ruritan, that help keep Ashburn and Loudoun County an exceptional place to live and work.
(NOTE: The awards for Briar Woods, Broad Run and Stone Bridge High Schools will be announced in June at each school’s ceremony.)
- Ashburn Elementary–Hodan Mohamed
- Belmont Station Elementary–Carson Swank
- Cedar Lane Elementary–Cameron Cocozza
- Creighton's Corner Elementary–Sreya Mallipeddi
- Dominion Trail Elementary–Isabella Mehrotra
- Hillside Elementary–Keely McNeme
- Legacy Elementary–Nathaniel Jone
- Mill Run Elementary–Grace Godwin
- Newton-Lee Elementary–Jack Darnell
- Rosa Lee Carter Elementary–Srija Pinnamaneni
- Sanders Corner Elementary–Vlad Ratiu
- Seldens Landing Elementary–Sarina Asher
- Steuart W. Weller Elementary–Carson Forsyth
- Belmont Ridge Middle–Maria Peters
- Eagle Ridge Middle–Kyleigh McGrail
- Farmwell Station Middle–Meila Grantham
- Stone Hill Middle–Brian Grant
- St. Theresa School–Zackery Wold