Loudoun Residents Can Get Free Tax Prep
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA) coming to four sites in Loudoun County.
Do you earn less than $51,000 a year?
You could qualify for free tax preparation services through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA).
Customers get one-on-one assistance from IRS volunteers in filing electronic returns at four sites in Loudoun County (and others in Northern Virignia) through April 15.
"In addition to saving an average of $200 in tax preparation fees, taxpayers will be working with certified IRS volunteers who will make sure that families receive the maximum tax refund to which they are entitled and help determine if they are eligible for the earned income tax credit (EITC) or other tax credit programs," the county said in a news release.
Interested? The release said you'll have to bring the following things with you:
• If filing a joint return, both spouses must come to the tax site.
• Photo ID for taxpayer (and spouse if filing jointly).
• Social Security cards or ITIN letters and birth dates for the taxpayer, spouse and all dependents.
• Wage and earnings statements: W-2, W-2G, and all Form 1099s received for 2012.
• Unemployment compensation, Form 1099G.
• Interest and dividend statements.
• Child care expenses paid in 2012 and the child care provider’s name, address and federal ID number.
• Record of tuition, purchase of books and/or student loan payments, Form 1098-E.
• A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns (if available).
• A check or a deposit slip for direct deposit.
• Record of any sales tax paid on new vehicles purchased in 2012.
• Record of any real estate taxes and mortgage interest payments made in 2012.
• Record of any Economic Recovery Payment received from the Social Security Administration, the Railroad Retirement Board or Veterans Administration.
Here's a list of locations from Loudoun County. It runs unedited below:
• Loudoun County Family Services - Workforce Resource Center: Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to noon, beginning January 29, 2013 and through April 13, 2013. The Workforce Resource Center is located in the Shenandoah Building at 102 Heritage Way on the first floor (enter at the back of the building) in Leesburg. Wages are limited to $51,000 and under. No appointments needed.
• Loudoun County Area Agency on Aging - Rust Library: Monday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. beginning February 11, 2013, through April 12, 2013. The library is located at 380 Old Waterford Road in Leesburg. Wages are limited to $51,000 and under. No appointments needed.
In addition, AARP offers free tax preparation at the following locations:
• Cascades Library: Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. beginning February 5 through April 15, 2013. Service is available to all wage earners or retirees and there is no income eligibility. Cascades Library is located at 21030 Whitfield Place in Sterling. No appointments needed.
• Falcons Landing: Monday, Thursday and Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. beginning on February 2 through April 15, 2013. Service is available to all wage earners or retirees and there is no income eligibility. Appointments are needed. To schedule an appointment call 703-404-5216. Falcons Landing is located at the corner of Algonkian Parkway & Potomac View Road in Sterling.