Loudoun County Public Schools' spring break is less than a month away – how are you going to spend it?
While some jump on planes or load up their cars and head to far off places, others choose to spend the time at home. Staycations can be a great way to catch up on projects that you've been putting off, spend quality time with the family, relax, rejuvenate and enjoy the comfort of your own home.
Patch has some ideas of how you can enjoy your staycation this spring:
- Gardening – It's the perfect time to start formulating and implementing your back yard garden plans. Whether you are planting flowers or vegetables, spring break is a great time to get the work done.
- Cooking – How often do you have a week of free time to try new recipes, take classes – we suggest of Ashburn – indulge in comfort foods and master new techniques? Then, take the time to enjoy more family meals around the dining room table.
- Discover the Smithsonian – Right in our backyard sits one of the world's best museums – and its free! Use your staycation as an opportunity to appreciate it. Just a short drive away, the Smithsonian has so much to offer, whether just checking out the National Air and Space Museum’s Udvar-Hazy facility near Dulles or heading downtown for the Smithsonian’s full array of options.
- Take in a spa day – Whether you stay in or go out, spend some time pampering yourself. Get your nails done, relax with a massage or strip away winter weather damage with a facial.
- Historic Homes – As if you didn't already know, Virginia is rich with history. Spend a day or two exploring some of the well-preserved historic homes in the area. Here is an extensive list of them.
- Recreation Centers – There is much fun to be had at the recreation centers right here in Loudoun County. Swimming, rock wall climbing, tennis and special events are enough to keep a family busy.
- Camping/Hiking – Whether you are looking for a challenge or just plain fun, there are lots of places to go to camp or hike. And, it is not a costly endeavor. Hiking Upward has a great list of parks and hiking locations in Virginia.
- Family Game Night/Family Movie Night – One of the least expensive forms of entertainment that offers a bonding experience.
- Ice Skating – Head over to the for some ice skating fun.
- Catch Spring Fever with a Baseball Game – The Washington Nationals will be playing the week of spring break. Tickets to the games are affordable and it's an event the whole family will enjoy.